Wednesday, June 13, 2007

An afternoon at the salon

Went to have my hair cut this afternoon and was amazed and amused at the conversations going on.

My favorite was the cute little stylist trying to convince her client, a portly woman of about 58, 273 pounds, with windshields for glasses that perhaps a haircut "just like Posh Spice's" would not be the best look on her. I am ashamed to admit that my stylist and I laughed until we snorted.

Then there was the woman whose hair was, literally, past her waist. She will only cut the front - read: mullet - because her sister tells her that long hair makes her look younger. That might have been true 25 years ago when she might have been actually young. But when you tell your stylist that you have to use three boxes of dye to keep it jet black, it's just way way too much.

One more woman, who I know from quilting, was talking about her trip to Europe. She and her husband go about every 6 weeks. They have more money than the legal limit and they are the absolute nicest people ever. When she talks about her trips, you don't begrudge her those adventures because she speaks of her adventures with such enthusiasm as if it were her first trip there. She also has a stunning canary diamond ring. That diamond is as big as my head. I offer to wear it for her in case she gets tired of it, but she hasn't taken me up on it yet.

It was quite the little hen part at the "salon" today!

4 comments:

Abby said...

Oh how I love the chitter chatter of women in a salon. It never fails to make me laugh.

ps - how does your hair look?

TransplantedOkie said...

And everyone talks so LOUD becuase of the hair dryers so you really can't help but hear EVERYTHING!

And my hair is lightly "sun-kissed" and quite fabulous, thank you!

Erin said...

I like canary diamonds.

TransplantedOkie said...

Hers is ginormous and is surrounded by white diamonds. A real pitiful little bauble.